- Strong Surge of Interest for 2014 Skipper Expo
- University of Michigan Commits to Sustainable Seafood
- Ghana Imports 50 per cent of Fish Needs
- Oman and Viet Nam Discuss Fish Farming Cooperation
- Indian, Sri Lankan FMs to discuss fishermen issue
- EU Project to Promote Organic Aquaculture
- More Chances for Vietnamese Seafood in China
- Salmon Processing Plant gets A$10 million Expansion
- China on the St. Mary's
- Best Aquaculture Practices Experienced Growth In 2013
Indian, Sri Lankan FMs to discuss fishermen issue
2014-01-17 10:43:48 copyfrom：Chinadaily hits:
On Tuesday, a delegation headed by Sri Lanka Fisheries Minister Rajitha Senaratne flew to India to hold talks with their counterparts on resolving the issue of illegal fishing in each other's territorial waters.
Over 400 fishermen from both sides have been detained after they were caught for allegedly poaching in the other country's territorial waters.
"The release of fishermen on a reciprocal basis by the government of Sri Lanka and India is proceeding as a continuing initiative," the Sri Lanka External Affairs Ministry said in the statement.
It added that an initial batch of 20 fishermen were released from Mallakam and Tamil Nadu, and this was followed a few hours later by the release of 32 fishermen from Pondichery in India.
Sri Lanka has also decided to release another 161 fishermen over the next few days.
Rajitha Senarathna will have talks in New Delhi with India's Agriculture Minister Sherard Pawar on the main elements of a durable solution to the problem of illicit fishing and the use of prohibited methods, which have given rise to vexed problems over a sustained period.
Both countries have pledged continued engagement to resolve the issue and maintain cordial relations.
hot search ：
- 336BAP biosecurity area management...
- 287Friosur plant fire forces evac...
- 265Scientists create a sustainabil...
- 258BioMar’s joint venture acquires fish feed company
- 256EU-Norway fisheries agreement benefits Spanish cod fleet
- 250CICESE and Chilean research in...
- 242EU proposes action to boost i...
- 240Blumar and Ventisqueros sign p...
- 167Vella welcomes strategic ocean energy roadmap
- 145Cargill ensures omega-3-rich ca...